WFO#5 Now We Play The Waiting Game

Today I get my road skills tested and then I wait for a trainer. After making sure all paperwork is done, direct deposit form submitted, and all training modules complete, I head back to the lower lot to do my skills assessment.

I demonstrated that I can perform a pre-trip inspection, I show that I can back a trailer into a spot between other trailers, and hit the road to show that I can drive in a safe manner. Missed a couple points but I am cleared to be on the road.

Now is the boring part. Wait for a leader to be assigned to me so I can leave the hotel and get on the open road. After being issued a fuel card, I begin to sign up for fuel rewards from places like Love's and Flying J's. If I gotta go there anyways might as well rack up points for showers or discounts on meals.

We were all dismissed for the day, but I hung back because I didn't want to go back to the hotel alone. I am very much a follow the crowd kind of guy unless it is a matter of safety. Plus I am already feeling super lonely so I would just rather be in the company of others.

Before we headed back to the hotel, new friends I made here in class wanted to check out a burrito place up the street from the hotel. We arrive, order our burritos (mine was paid for by a friend, currently broke till next Friday) and then headed to the hotel. Man being broke in the middle of nowhere is not fun but it's okay.

While I was in CDL school I mentally prepared myself but doing a water fast in the morning and eating light for lunch/dinner. Is it fun to do this? Hell no but I knew money was super tight so I would much rather my wife and kids be fed and I learn to live lean.

So while my burrito was free, I am gonna pace that sucker out. Plus I have been grabbing extra breakfast stuff so I can snack here and there. So I am not going hungry.

Called the family, got caught up in the shenanigans my wife and kids have been getting into, and got a call from my brother. Overall it was a good day and now we wait for leader placement. Thank goodness I brought the iPad and Steam Deck.
 

WFO Thoughts of the Day

With it being June I wanted to say Happy Pride. I don't care what your religion says about gay people, just know that they are still human and deserve to be heard seen and loved. They have just as much right to be here and we do and it is darn right despicable to treat them less.

Also in June, it is Mens Mental Health Month. It is important that while I am not trained and all advice I give is purely from my own perspective, I want to encourage everyone to check on their brother's dad's sons and friends. It is important that our struggles be heard and we feel seen.

Men are 3.88 times more likely to commit suicide and if you are military that number skyrockets higher. I would rather you weigh down my shoulders with your tears than your casket. Comment here or message me on my DMs on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram etc. Just comment help and I will find a way to reach you. I do not want my brothers to feel they weren't seen.

Thanks for reading,
Soaring 💖🐦

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFO #1 Personal Development

WFO #2 The Trek to Omaha